Pinterest

Follow me

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Shouldering

Today I printed a Feldenkrais lesson called "Freeing the Shoulders"on a site called flowing body.  It seemed to be an organic sequence for me due to a constant battle that I have with my upper torso (neck, shoulders, head).

I walked the dog and observed people walking.  Again, I found it difficult to identify elegant walking but did notice that children never seem to walk (something I already was well aware of) but when they do their upper body is loose and fluid.

Adults and most adolescents seem to be carrying around the weight of the world, both literally and figuratively.

In addition to the multiple bags most people carry (backpack, satchel, messenger bag, etc.) most are talking on a device that is clamped between their shoulder and their ear.  I also saw a lot of adults carrying either a rolled yoga mat or clutching a cup of something.

I realized how debilitating this is yesterday when I tried walking the dog with a cup of coffee.  My usual freedom of thought was greatly inhibited and that serves as a link to my movement.

Today I will try to capture these concept in my choreography:

  • pushing/pulling
  • sharp shapes/movements
  • static/erratic
  • reaching out while "shouldering"
I am not certain if they will function in a separate phrase or simply be incorporated into the first phrase as a closer look at the gestures and arm positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment